FACILITY NEWS & UPATES: FALL/WINTER 2019-2020
US Open 2019 - On behalf of the juniors sponsored by your generous donation and myself, we want to thank you for your support. The visit to Westside Club at Forrest Hills required the juniors to wear all white, and while there, they learned of the historical impact of the club as there are probably only three grass court facilities in the U.S.. They were also able to hit on the grass courts and the other club surfaces. The tour was made possible by our relationship with the tennis manager of the club, Luke Jensen, formerly from metro Atlanta. He and his brother Murphy Jensen are former tour pros that grew up playing at Sugar Creek Tennis center back in the day.
Home Match Fees 2020:
$70/home match for leagues with 5 lines of play.
$48/home match (if leagues plays less than 5 lines)
1 court - $20 for 2 hours without a coach
2 courts - $40 for 2 hours without a coach
Singles - $10/home match
Doubles - $16/home match
Home Match fees are due by the start of the season, NOT your first home match. Captains are to collect from team members and pay the fees directly at the Sugar Creek front desk.
Derek Pride, Antonio Bennett, Noah Terry, Foster Bolton, James Harrell, Rocky Warner
Reminder: Per ALTA/USTA league rules, it is the responsibility of the home team to dry courts, NOT Sugar Creek Tennis Center staff. If we are able to assist we will, but the staff’s priority is operating the front desk. Due to golf coming online soon, Sugar Creek staff will be unable to assist in drying courts. Rollers are on the courts and towels can be available at the center on a first come basis IF we receive a supply of donated towels. Your donation of old towels to Sugar Creek for drying courts is appreciated.
HBCU Tennis Tournament Recap
Fourteen (14) teams participated in the HBCU Tournament held at Sugar Creek. The Men’s Team Champion was Morgan State University and the Women’s Team Champion was Florida A&M University.
Please extend your appreciation to the Sugar Creek staff and the Coan Tennis Association for interior improvements to the clubhouse and the exterior picnic tables.
Facility Updates FALL/WINTER 2019-2020
A hand roller for the clay courts has been received and Terry Alexander has submitted a request for a cart for the large clay roller. The contract has been finalized for the courts to be professionally maintained by a company every six months. The plan is to keep the clay courts in proper condition so that teams can play league play on the clay if they desire. Currently the courts are in acceptable playing condition.
Georgia Power installed new LED lighting in the parking lot for increased safety and security; patrons should still be alert as they come and go at night
Soon the parking lot will be cleaned, sealed, resurfaced and painted
A suggestion box has been installed at the front entrance
Please contact the following departments and individuals to let them your thoughts and concerns about Sugar Creek. This makes the county aware of the vital role Sugar Creek plays in the community as well as the enjoyment derived from the golf and tennis patrons.
David Flaherty, , 404-371-3695
Commissioner Kathie Gannon, , 404-371-4909
Commissioner Larry Johnson, , 404-371-2425
PREVIOUS UPDATES SUMMER/FALL 2019
• You will notice that new security gates are being installed. This is to increase the level of safety and security, as well as curtail after hour dumping. In your support please obey hours of operation.
• Sugar Creek is very close to having WiFi, there are a few hardware issues to solve but it’s being worked out.
• There are new Sugar Creek Staff on the Tennis side who have recently started.
Justice Ejike - Maintenance & varying facility duties
Pamela Butler - Administrative & varying facility duties
Rocky Warner - responsible for IT, website needs, etc.
• Work on the Golf Cart Barn is nearly complete
• Work on a couple of the course bridges have been complete and the others are in progress at different stages.
• A soft opening of The Driving Range & Putting Green is looking to happen sooner than later. Hopefully withing the next 30 days
• Sugar Creek just successfully hosted the CTA 2019 Hotlanta Summer Sizzler Aug 9-11th. The tournament participation numbers were, 121 in 22 areas of competition. Congrats CTA!!!!
• Sugar Creek will be hosting the 2019 HBCU Championships Sept 11-14th
• ALTA Men’s & Women’s Fall season starts Sept 14th & 15th
• Looking for group lessons for your youngster? We have junior sessions taking place Saturdays. Click Here!